General Safety Tips
Here are some general tips to help you stay safe while driving:
- Keep your doors locked, safety belts buckled and children safe and secure in properly installed safety seats.
- Don’t allow children to fight or climb around in your car. One accidental bump or too much noise can easily distract you from concentrating on driving safely.
- Always use caution when changing lanes. Accidentally cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
- Although it is important to have a mobile phone available in case of emergencies, do not use your cell phone while operating your vehicle.
- Avoid driving when you’re tired. Be aware that some medications can cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous.
- Try to keep your gas above 1/3 of a tank.
- If you are unfamiliar with an area, stay on main roads and highways, and don’t forget your mapping tools.
- When stopping for breaks, never let children go to the restroom alone. Always lock vehicle doors, even if you’ll only be gone for a few minutes.
- Do not stop to help a disabled vehicle. Instead, call for help from your mobile phone.
- If stopping during nighttime travel, choose a well-lit, populated facility. Park where your vehicle can be seen.
- If approached by someone while your vehicle is stopped, keep your doors locked and only roll your window down enough to hear what the person is saying.